Jan 26, 2012

Seven Special Occasion Cookies (and one cake)


I've been scouting the interwebs for some special cookie recipes. We're hosting a birthday party for my mom-in-law in a couple weeks, and I thought that a table of cookies would be more fun than just a cake. Here are seven that stood out to me. They'd be great for other occasions and uses, too: baby or wedding shower, bake sale, goodies in a gift basket.
Those that don't involve cream cheese would probably travel well, and be a most welcome surprise to a college student or soldier.



Paula Deen's Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies. One stick of butter, one package of cream cheese, one box of cake mix and one egg. Yep, sounds gooey alright!




Raspberry Oatmeal Bars. These look yummy and sound as if they could be healthy.  Let's all pretend, shall we?

I'm all for healthy choices on a daily basis. But I also believe that when there is truly a special occasion, it's okay to break out the sugar and splurge a little. A little. And just for that day. Not the whole dang week!



Oreo Truffles, from Chef in Training. Speaking of splurging! Oreos are combined with cream cheese and then dipped in white chocolate. One reader's tip: use corn-on-the-cob holders for the dipping process. 




Walnut Snowball Cookies (aka, Wedding Cookies). Who doesn't like these? They're simple, and delicious, and classic!

Walnuts are healthy. Yeah, health food, baby!







Gramma's Date Bars. I know this is not a decadent-sounding recipe, but I think it's nice to have at least one low-sugar option on the table. And this type of cookie was very popular in the 1930's (I remember my grandma making these), so I think it's a nostalgic favorite for lots of people.




Almond or Lemon Poppyseed Shortbread. The almond version is my own recipe which I plan to post here one day. I could whip up a batch now -- they take no time at all to make -- but since I don't have time to photograph them today, you'll have to be content with this picture and recipe of Lemon Poppyseed Cookies from Martha Stewart.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake Bars. I found this recipe because one commenter's quote caught my eye: "Out of this world!!!! These are INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Becky Bakes says, "These may just be the tastiest thing I’ve had… ever." They certainly are elegant enough to earn a spot on a birthday party table.


Ina Garten's Carrot and Pineapple Cake. Okay, so it's not a cookie, but if it were made as a sheet cake and cut into little squares or bars it could pass, right?  And here's a lighter carrot cake option. (The photo is of the lighter version.)







What cookies do you make for special occasions?

You might also like:
Coffee Heath Bar Ice Cream
Peanut Butter Pie
No-bake Raspberry Lemon Cheesecake

3 comments:

Owliephant said...

SHORTBREAD!!! :D
-A

Jana Snyder said...

What a surprise! ;)

Paulina said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Blog Archive

Popular Posts