Jan 20, 2012

Recipe review: Two "emergency" cookies



First off, let me say that I think the idea of a one-cookie sized recipe is brilliant! I mean, sometimes a girl does just need a little something sweet, and fresh out of the oven, and right now! But usually that means a whole bunch of cookies are going to be calling you from the cabinet for days. Or hours. Depending.

Last week when my daughter was home, she had seen me pin a couple of these one-cookie recipes from Eating Well - Living Thin, and one night morning at our Insomniacs Association meeting, she said, "Let's make some emergency cookies!"

We tried the peanut butter cookie first. And I have to confess: we baked the "whole batch" size. (It was her idea -- honest!) I thought they were great; she was so-so on them at first. But SOMEbody polished off the rest of them the next afternoon and it wasn't me!

The next night we tried the oatmeal cookie version. The recipe recommends quick oats, but all we had was old fashioned. They didn't hold together too well, and the texture just wasn't so great. I figured it was 'cause we had the wrong oats.

So I made them again tonight. This time, I ran the oatmeal through our mini-blender for just a short bit, to make them more like quick oats. And I added some sunflower seeds, because I love them in oatmeal cookies. The cookies (four of them, this time) held together much better, and smelled wonderful while they were baking, but -- I'm disappointed to say -- I still didn't like the texture, and the artificialness of the Splenda was overwhelming.

I dunno... maybe using Whey Low would make a big difference, maybe I'm doing something wrong, maybe sugar and chocolate chips would change everything... but I won't be making the oatmeal cookies again. The peanut butter ones, though, just might make another late night appearance!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts