Feb 1, 2013

Salted-caramel glazed oatmeal cookies



I love it when a recipe goes wrong, then turns into something oh so right!

One of my favorite cookies is sunflower seed oatmeal cookies. (Gibbers', too.) I made a batch today to take to a neighborhood get-together tonight, but I played with the proportions a bit too much, and they came out kinda bland. So I thought a caramel icing might balance that out.


And it did! But I couldn't just leave it at that. Since "salted caramel whatever" is everywhere these days, I thought I'd give them just a light sprinkling of kosher salt.

Perfect! The cakey/crispy texture of the cookie contrasts nicely with the gooey caramel, and they do balance each other out. That icing would also rock drizzled over banana cake, muffins, or banana-nut bread!

I can't give you the cookie part of my recipe, because I swapped Splenda for some of the sugar, just added the dry ingredient mix till it looked right, and same on the oatmeal. But the base recipe I was working from is the standard one on every carton of Quaker Oatmeal: Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin Cookies. I leave out the cinnamon and swap sunflower seeds for raisins.

On to the icing...

I started with a recipe on AllRecipes.com, but changed it substantially. Here's what I ended up with:

Caramel icing

covers three dozen cookies

 2 T. butter
 1/4 c. cream
 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. powdered sugar (or less)
1/2 t. vanilla
Kosher or sea salt to taste (optional)

Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Then stir in the cream and brown sugar. Boil vigorously for 1 minute.
Remove from heat, and beat in half of the powdered sugar. Cool slightly, and beat in the vanilla and the remaining powdered sugar. Taste it as you add a bit at a time; you may not need all of it. 
It sets up pretty quickly, so have your cookies all ready before you make the icing. If it gets too thick, add more cream and/or return it to low heat for a moment.
Drizzle over the cookies. Sprinkle lightly w/ kosher or sea salt, if desired.


No comments:

Popular Posts