Feb 28, 2012

Recipe review: tiramisu cups (quick & easy!)


I recently did a recipe round-up of a dozen cute little dessert shots. One of those made the final cut for the special birthday party we hosted last week: tiramisu cups from Sprinkle Bakes. Or, as my daughter calls them, "tirami-shooters."

I chose these because: A) they're so gosh-darn cute, B) they're super easy, and C) who doesn't love tiramisu?

Sprinkle Bakes uses a mixture of sour cream and cream cheese in place of the traditional but hard-to-find (and more expensive) mascarpone. I do wish I'd thought to purchase a large star tip for that finessed look when piping the creamy stuff on, but had to make do with a plastic baggie with one corner snipped off. It doesn't affect taste though, does it?

You may notice that there's chocolate in mine.... I couldn't find lady fingers at my grocery store, and didn't feel like taking the longer trip to a specialty store, so I subbed Milk Chocolate Milanos -- which are basically just ladyfingers sandwiched with chocolate. When the tiramisu had sat at room temp for a while, these worked okay because the chocolate became somewhat soft. But when they were served straight out of the fridge, it didn't work so well, because the chocolate hardened and interfered with the creamy, fluffy texture that is tiramisu. So, next time, I will start hunting earlier and go farther afield to find real ladyfingers. Or if I'm feeling especially industrious, make my own.

But these are simple, and darling, and delicious. I will certainly be making them again!

1 comment:

K & B said...

This is a great way to make sure everyone has their one slice of cake ! Thumbs up for excellent ideas

ratedkb.blogspot.com

Popular Posts