Feb 16, 2012

Kitchen tips: Stuff to keep handy by the stove


Today I'm going to share a couple things I love that make everyday cooking just a little easier.

I've always kept all the most-frequently-used cooking tools close at hand in one large canister right by the stove. That's handy, but as we collected more gadgets it got more stuffed, to the point where you couldn't pull out one item without bringing one or two others with it. Not a major problem in the big picture, but just a little daily irritation.

So, a few weeks ago, I went through the utensils and narrowed them down to the ones that really get used weekly to daily. There were still quite a few, so I got two canisters of different heights and sorted the tools out by height. It's a small change, but it makes it so much easier to find the exact thing I'm after, and pull it out quickly and cleanly.

Then a few days ago I had an ah-ha: I use my measuring spoons every single day, but I've always kept them in a drawer with other gadgets. Why not keep them out in the open by the stove, too? So I hunted in a local flea market for something tall enough to hold my measuring spoons, short enough so I can read the measurements stamped on them, and hefty enough to not tip over easily. I found this cute little ironstone pitcher for six bucks -- score! It's just perfect.

By the way, one of the things that makes every day cooking a little easier is these rectangular stainless steel measuring spoons. What I love most about them is that because they're so long and narrow, they fit in just about any spice jar! I also like the fact that the rectangular shape makes it easy to eyeball a partial spoonful if, for example, you need a 1/2 teaspoon, but that spoon and the 1/4 teaspoon are in the dishwasher. Just grab the full teaspoon and guesstimate it.

I actually have two sets, so there's (almost) always one clean in any size I need. I also like that the set includes a 3/4 teaspoon and a 1/8 teaspoon. You might balk at spending $12 - 14 on a set of measuring spoons, but not only will you use them every day, but these things will last for generations -- literally. So that really makes it pennies per use.

Where I got the stuff:
The red canisters: Target (they came with lids, but I don't use them)
The ironstone pictcher: A Legacy Antique Mall, Wichita KS
The measuring spoons: I don't remember, but you can pick up a set (or two) at my Amazon shop.

No comments:

Popular Posts