Oct 6, 2013

Timetable for roasting vegetables

I have previously posted this in recipe form, but since I work out a detailed timing schedule for all of my cooking on Thanksgiving and keep it in a file on my computer,* I thought I'd share my schedule for making a large batch of roasted vegetables for a crowd.

This schedule assumes you'll be serving the meal at about 12:30. Adjust as needed.
.

Roasted vegetables cooking schedule

earlier** - chop carrots, onions, peppers and zucchini
10:30 - preheat oven to 400 F; cut potatoes
10:50 - put carrots and potatoes in oven; snap the asparagus
11:10 - turn carrots and potatoes
11:35 - take carrots and potatoes out; put onions and peppers in
11:45 - turn onions and peppers
11:55 - take onions & peppers out; put zucchini in
12:05 - add asparagus to zucchini; toss; put back in
12:15 - take veg's out of oven

The full recipe.

Make-ahead tip: The vegetables can be roasted and kept at room temperature up to 2 hours in advance or refrigerated up to 1 day in advance. Reheat from room temperature at 350° F to 400° F. Do they taste as amazing as roasted veggies fresh out of the oven? Not quite, but still delicious!

*This makes me sound super organized in the kitchen. Ha! The REASON I spell all this out carefully and keep record of it is because, while I can (and do) get by with winging-it in the kitchen for daily cooking, holidays and parties require more organizing than I can do in my head. And I find that the less info I try to store in my head, the less wigged-out I get trying to stay on top of it all!

**For all the veggies except the potatoes, you can chop them earlier that morning, or do them the day before and store in the fridge, grouped according to what goes into the oven together.

No comments:

Popular Posts