Jul 5, 2013

Recipe review: Key Lime Laraballs


Call them nut balls, energy bites, or no-bake cookies. No matter what you call them, I love 'em! First of all because I LOVE the flavor, but also because they are a totally guilt-free treat!

Let's just list all the things these have going for them:
  • Quick and easy to make; no bake.
  • Raw, vegan, gluten free.
  • I'm not a paleo expert, but I think these might be paleo-friendly, too.
They are very dominantly lime-flavored. If you don't love lime or you're a wimp when it comes to sour things, you might want to make mix it up it as-is, then taste before you start rolling the dough into balls. I'm glad I did, because since I was using unsweetened coconut, and I had to add a little extra dates and a splash of vanilla to sweeten it up a bit.

Try them! YUM!

Here's the original recipe, from peasandcrayons: Key Lime Larabars.

And here are my tweaks:

1/2 cup chopped dates (pre-chopped; coated w/ dextrose)
1/4 cup raw, unsalted almonds
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (+ extra for coating)
1-2 Tablespoons raw, unsalted walnuts
2-3 Tablespoons  fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon real maple syrup
1 splash vanilla extract

Combine in food processor till it starts sticking together. You may need to stop a scrape things down a couple times. Taste and add more dates and/or syrup as needed. 

Put mixture in a small bowl and chill in the fridge for about five minutes. Remove, roll into balls, and roll the balls in shredded coconut. Place in a closed or plastic-wrapped container and store in the fridge.

No comments:

Popular Posts