Jul 1, 2012

Basil on my windowsill -- got roots!

Even if I plant nothing else, I plant at least one basil every summer. There's nothing like it! Dried basil might as well be from another planet for all the similarity its scent holds to the real deal.

This year, I got a late start, and all the basil starts were pretty leggy. So after I potted it up, I snipped off the uppermost sprigs, to encourage doubling. I didn't have immediate plans for the cuttings, but not wanting to waste this precious resource, I stuck them in a small jar of water and set that on my north-facing window sill.



A few days later, I was surprised to see that the cuttings were putting out roots!


They continued rooting for several days. I'm sure I could have potted these up, too, but I ended up using them in a fabulous salmon dish I'll post here soon!

No comments:

Popular Posts