Apr 28, 2012

When "Sugar Free" isn't

I don't normally buy Cool Whip. It's not that I'm a food snob (okay, I kinda am), but mostly that A) whipped cream is not that hard to make, B) I trust whole food over manufactured food, and C) whipped cream tastes better!

But today I was making some lemon cheesecake desserts (the lemon version of my lime cheesecake shooters) to take to a shower tomorrow, but because of scheduling issues, they have to be done tonight. Whipped cream won't last that long. So I decided to go with Cool Whip for the topping, since it's very stable.

I grabbed a tub of the fluffy stuff -- the "Sugar Free" version -- and headed home. Then I read the label.

First ingredient: water. Second ingredient: corn syrup.

Are you kidding me?! It has corn syrup, and you're calling it sugar free? Is this even legal?

(The Harvard School of Public Health includes corn syrups on its list of added sugars in disguise. Corn syrup has been proven to raise triglycerides even more than and faster than sugar.)

Lesson learned: Always read the label -- before you leave the store!


No comments:

Popular Posts